Wednesday, July 28, 2010

BPA-free pumping

When my daughter was born one year ago (her birthday was this past Monday), I didn't know much about breast pumps and didn't even think to research to see if there was a "Green" one. A friend had given me her old one, but after a very expensive meeting with a lactation consultant, she made it very clear that with each child you MUST get a brand new pump, not necessarily for hygienic reasons, but because the pumps are only single use and they slowly burn out, sometimes unbeknownst to the user.
So, I bought a Medela, which has worked well for me, but according to this article Medela bottles, even though marketed as BPA-free were found to have low to high levels of BPA in them. Luckily, I read this early on and always immediately transfered my milk into glass bottles, but it was very disheartening news to read. Enter the Hygeia pump. All of it's parts that come into contact with breast milk are BPA/DEHP Free and it even has an innovative feature that allows you to record you baby's cries, laughs or whatever other sounds help your milk let down. Kinda makes me want to have another...
hygeiababy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment